Monday, February 03, 2020

The joy of finishing

Thanks to the Managing Committee of Nitesh Forest Hills Apartment Owners Association (NFHAOWA) for allowing me to organise the second edition of the Marathon events for residents. 

Nitesh Forest Hills and Nitesh Flushing Meadows are two phases of a single residential condominium community located in Seegehalli - far from the madding crowd, yet with accessiblity to ITPB and Whitefield. 

The layout of blocks within the phase wise development, the private spaces between the phases in the premises makes provides for a decent stretch which can be used for walking and jogging track. The community in general is very much into fitness - walking, jogging, yoga, sports activities and so on. Both these put together was the motivation for making a running track for conduct of short form Marathon events - 3 km, 5 km and 10 km events.

The race track layout

The laid out track track is approximately 900m and so its 3 rounds for a 3k, 5 rounds for a 5k and 10 rounds for the 10k. The very first version of this kind of event for Nitesh Forest Hills and Nitesh Flushing Meadows was in 2019 and was conduced on the night of 19-Jan-2019. For the 2020 event, named 2.0 the date was set to 1-Feb-2020 a Saturday. This event saw 300+ registrations in categories of Under 8, 8-12 Kids, 12-58 Adults and Seniors. 

Teaser

My boys 9 and 6 both ran the 3k events and my wife also ran the 3k under the adults category. Last year's event since I was organiser and officiating on the runs, I watched from the side lines cheering my many friends who were running. This time around I was fortunate to have have a different person officiating so I was able to participate in the 5k event. 
All our race bibs
The events were conducted between 4:30 pm and 10 pm with time slots to various categories. Kids ran first and both my boys completed the full 3 rounds. My younger one ran the rounds hands holding with two of his close buddies. By the time 3 rounds were finished, both of them were huffing and puffing with pink all over their faces. 

The adult events started about 8:00 pm with the 10k runners starting up first. 10 rounds is no easy play and it requires some practise and strong will. I realised this as I was running my 5 rounds. By the time I finished the 2nd round, I was already panting and realised that I need to slow down to work out a breathing rhythm. Thus rounds 3 and 4 were managed. Round 5 was the hardest but executing this 5k without making any stops or walking was very very satisfying. 

With fellow residents and friends
Till 3.0... 



No comments: