Monday, February 10, 2020

Cutting the queue

I am proud to be living in Bengaluru where queuing behaviour is the norm than the exception. I can say this after living for at least a couple off years of my adult life in other cities in India where concept of queue means a hundred arms stretched into the counter. Be it a movie theatre booking counter or a pharmacy counter. It was nauseating to live in such places. 

Anyways today in Bengaluru I was taking a suburban and the metro to be able to get to my work place and there were three instances of people trying to cut the queue. You may be surprised but there are a 100s of people who are patiently waiting their turn in the queue, so 3 of 100s is not bad odds at all. Generally the justification is that folks are late for their train/ metro and need a short cut. From the dressing and the behaviour you can say that education has still not done enough.

Today a well dressed man with an office bag in his 40s was trying to cut the queue in the entrance to Bayapanahalli Metro station. My friend and me who were in the queue but just behind - were like "What the?!!". We politely asked this man to respect the queue and take his turn and in response this man has the most weird answer. "I have already spent time in the ticket counter queue, so I am entitled to enter this queue without waiting!!!" 

This was the most weird justification to cutting a queue that I have heard so far and it left us both in splits. OMG, Ye Mera India!

No comments: